32 Read the names of the capitals of the English-speaking countries. Fill in the gaps. Listen and check if you were right.
1. The full name of the country is Canada. It has no short name. The capital is Ottawa. There are two official languages in the country: English and French.
2. The full name of the country is Australia. It has no short name. The capital is Canberra. The official language is English.
3. The full name of the country is the United States of America. Its short names are the USA or the US. The capital is Washington, DC. The official language is English.
4. The full name of the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Nothern Ireland. The short names are the United Kingdom, the UK and Great Britain. The capital is London. The official language is English.
5. The full name of the country is New Zealand. The country has no short name. The capital is Wellington. The official languages are English and Maori.
33 Share information with your classmates who have read the texts about other English-speaking countries. Use the questions as a plan:
1. Where is it situated?
2. What’s its population?
3. What’s its capital?
4. What’s its official language (or languages)?
34 Match the countries and the word combinations corresponding to them.
• Italy upside down
• an island state
• a “Lucky country”
• the second largest country in the world
• a real melting pot
35 Find pairs of words that have similar meanings. Read them.
big, little, country, peoples, various, powerful, a capital, famous, nearly, also, population, at present, twice, many, to start
a lot of, small, state, nationalities, strong, people, well-known, to begin, too, different, about, two times, now, a main city, large
36 Say which English-speaking country you’d like to visit. Give your reasons.
37 Tell about Russia in the same way. Use the information in the box. Don’t forget to mention:
— the continent
— the capital
— big cities
— the population
— official language or languages
Some facts about Russia
Area: 17075400 sq kilometres
Population: 145,600 million people
Other big cities: St Petersburg, Novosibirsk, Ekaterinburg, Rostov-na-Donu, Nizhny Novgorod, etc.
Official language: Russian
Winter temperature: from -1 to -50°C S
Summer temperature: from +1 to +40°C
Rainfall: from 100 to 1000 mm